Full Metal Rudolph, The Reinfather & A Pack of Gifts Now

The stop animation of the Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer Christmas special always creeped me out Maybe it was the way they moved or the large, dead eyes. But what doesn't put me in the Christmas spirit does lend itself to parody.

Full Metal Rudolph is a wonderful mashup of one of my favourite films, Stanly Kuberick's Full Metal Jacket, with Rudolph. The scene has Senior Drill Instructor Gunnery Sergeant Hartman tearing a new one for the elves.



Awhile back MAD TV aired a few Rudolph parodies, done by animator Corky Quakenbush. The Reinfather captures some of the best of The Godfather, with Rudolph as Brando, Hermey the Misfit Elf as his lieutenant. "This one time, Clarice, I'll let you ask about my business..."



A Pack of Gifts Now summarizes Apocalypse Now in a tidy four and a half minutes, with Rudolph as Captain Willard and Santa as Colonel Kurtz. Santa has gone mad and is giving toys away for free.

"Saskatchewan. Shoot. I'm still in Saskatchewan... the ho ho horror!"

2 comments:

  1. I must confess, I always loved Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer and those other Rankin/Bass specials. But I always loved parodies of it too. The Reinfather is a classic, but I think I prefer A Pack of Gifts Now. That parody of The Doors' "The End" alone is a hoot. "One thing's for sure. Tai chi and eggnog don't mix..."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember The Reinfather from when it aired, but I'd never seen A Pack of Gifts Now until last night. I loved the Christmas lights igniting like napalm. Very clever.

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe
Google+