Born to Runner-up

The votes have been tallied and the results are in and Popped Culture has come in second in the Best Entertainment Blog category of the Canadian Blog Awards.

I would like to thank my many, many friends who annoyed their friends, coworkers and complete strangers to cast a vote for me. It was a valiant effort, but the winner – Bookninja – crushed me by 16 votes and so my congratulations goes out to them for their victory and their stealthy ability to kill people with literature. A tip of the hat as well to my worthy competitors: oRadio, Bow. James Bow and SHZine.

I take solace in the fact that even the mighty Lisa Simpson discovered she can’t be first all the time. (You can always find an appropriate Simpsons reference.)

Lisa: Hey, I am above average! So what if Alison's ahead of me? There's no shame in being second.

Announcer: And now, Avis Rent-A-Car is proud to present the second best band in America. Will you welcome Garfunkel, Messina, Oates, and Lisa singing their number two hit, "Born to Runner-up". [Audience boos]

Lisa: Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?

I’d also like to congratulate Amber Mac for the second place finish in the Best Best Sci/Tech Blog category, My Dinner Table for placing third in Best Activities and CBC Radio 3 and Inside the CBC for the two/three finish in the Media category. Lastly, I’d like to thank Robert McClelland for putting together the awards and introducing me to so many new and interesting blogs.

Thanks everyone, we’ll try again next year. (Yeesh, acceptance speeches are tedious, aren’t they?)

14 comments:

  1. And perhaps next year I will be competing right beside you. ;)

    Sorry you didn't get the gold...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks MC, but the competition was fierce enough without having to fend off the likes of you. See you on the field of battle - obscure pop culture references at 20 paces!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations!
    You're number 1 to us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the kind words and votes. As for trying harder, do I have to? I'm ever so lazy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats, Jer! You should have won (well, after me, of course...)

    -Jen

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's no shame in finishing second.

    Sincerely,
    Michael Ignatieff

    ReplyDelete
  7. MC - BlogBurst? Oh yeah, some editor at AZcentral.com had a brief fling with my site in the summer, resulting in a grand total of five click throughs. But I suppose by that accounting, I would trounce you, 5-0. ;) You do keep me on my toes.

    Jen - You know you could have commanded your readers to vote, I'm just lucky you didn't. Thanks.

    Iggy - You're right, who needs the spotlight anyway? Lets grab a pint, trade torture techniques and make fun of Bob Rae. Third... snicker.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, well. Popped Culture will always be #1 in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on the great achievement!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Barker, congrats on a helluva race! (My voting finger is blistered...) Next year, maybe resort to nudity for the extra push across the finish line. As a fellow silver medalist, I can only say this as encouragement - at least you were beaten by an active blog. We at Radio 3 were beaten by one that's been dormant since the summer. Hiyo!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mercurie & Marina - thanks for the support and even more for the votes!

    Mr. Pratt - As long as you look no further than this post, I can categorically say I have never done anything untoward on this blog to increase my traffic numbers. (celebrity sex tape, celebreity sex tape) As for Radio 3 falling to Azerbic, I assume that was fans trying to draw her back to blogging with a tribute. Very odd though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, it looks like you are also up for a Weblog Award in the "best of the rest" category.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hmmm, seems you are correct sir. Damn popularity contests!

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe
Google+