Disco Will Keep You Alive

Well, you can tell by the way I use my walk,
I'm a woman's man, no time to talk...
For those who think disco sucks, knowing the Bee Gees mega-hit Stayin' Alive could mean the difference between life and death.

When administering CPR to a heart attack victim, the perfect rhythm is 100 compressions per minute and, according to the strut-inducing beat of Stayin' Alive clocks in at an almost perfect 103 beats per minute.

In a study to be presented at the Scientific Assembly of the American College of Emergency Physician's annual meeting, med students and physicians trained to perform CPR to the beat of Stayin' Alive maintained close to the ideal rhythm.

Take that, punk rock!

Supposedly Queen's Another One Bites the Dust also has the proper beat, but that's just negative, and we just don't go for that sort of thing around here.

And because you can't not have this song in your head...

2 comments:

  1. I'm not convinced. If disco can keep one alive, why do I find myself longing for death when I hear it? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. The irony, of course, will be that you will keel over while overhearing some disco and the paramedic reviving you will do so to Stayin' Alive.

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe
Google+