Watchmen Last Supper

In the opening credits of the Watchmen, accompanied by Bob Dylan's song The Times, They Are A 'Changin', the credit sequence shows a brief history of masked heroes.

The scene that stood out for me was the party for Sally Jupiter’s retirement from The Minutemen, which is based on Leonardo da Vinci’s The Last Supper. I love that this homage/parody has once again risen in current pop culture.

Seated left to right: Mothman, Silhouette, nurse, The Comedian (in the seat of Judas), a pregnant Silk Spectre I/Sally Jupiter as the Christ figure, her husband Laurence Schexnader, Nite Owl I, Captain Metropolis, Hooded Justice.

Be sure to check out the gallery of 50 Pop Culture Last Suppers and watch the whole opening sequence below.

5 comments:

  1. I'm not so sure about Silk Spectre I as a Christ figure, but The Comedian would certainly seem to be Judas in the scheme of Watchmen!

    While I loved the film, I still think Watchmen's opening may have been the best part of the film!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As in many of these homages, I don't think the person seated at the centre of the table is necessarily a Christ figure, but the central figure in the representation. But The Comedian as her Judas is the perfect choice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wtf? dudes, it's about how he's the father, you know? The secret Judas in the painting was actually Marry? Jesus screws Marry? Yes? Yes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen many comments about the last supper shot, but almost every shot in the opening sequence is based on a famous picture,a nd I have yet to see mention of that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're right - I guess you have a good blog post there.

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe
Google+