Jokeback Mountain

Grayskull Mountain“I wish I knew how to quit you,” has become the new “Not that there’s anything wrong with that.” Brokeback Mountain jokes have opened up a whole world of gay jokes as the film continues its roll towards an inevitable Oscar win.

The jokes don’t really do much for me, but there is an offshoot that I enjoy: movie parodies. Its interesting to watch when a piece of entertainment enters into the wider realm of pop culture and people take ownership of it.

I think it is also part of the mashup phenomenon, where two or more disparate elements are mixed together to create a new work, like the Grayskull Mountain poster to the right. Take one part cheesy ‘80s cartoon He-Man and the Masters of the Universe (and its ripe for parody title), add in the zeitgeist film of the moment, mix with Photoshop and voila!

The spoofs are rolling in and I’m sure more are on the way. The gay subtext of Top Gun has longed been hinted at and Quentin Tarantino said as much in his monologue in Sleep With Me. So Bareback Top Gun comes as no surprise.

There is also a great trailer for another love that could never be – that of Marty McFly and Dr. Emmett Brown in Brokeback to the Future.

And for those techie geeks, there is the short but sweet Broke Mac Mountain, which I probably enjoy more than I should.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe
Google+